Tuesday, February 12, 2008

lately...

As of late, one of my favorite things to do is to go to the park near my house and sit and read, or people-watch, or occasionally chat with the people around me. Luckily it's starting to warm up, so it's usually around 60-70 degrees and sunny during the afternoon for a few hours, which means everyone tries to take advantage of the sun. It's also really good to just get out of the house and see new things/people/relax/etc.

Let's see...what else do I do? The really big thing to do here is to go out for tapas, which are typically served from 8pm - midnight-ish. And LUCKILY, Granada is, I believe, the ONLY place in all of Spain that serves free (and delicious) tapas whenever you order a drink at a tapas bar or restaurant. It comes in handy when you only have a couple of dollars and you order a beer or something for a euro y tanto and end up eating dinner for 'free'! So anyway, that's pretty much what everyone does here...I don't do it a whole lot because I have a completely free meal prepared for me everynight, but every once in a while it's a nice change...This past weekend I got together with a group of friends and we played frisbee together, and then soccer, and then the group ended up picking up a couple of spanish guys who wanted to join in. It was tons of fun, reminded me of playing frisbee on the beach in Chile, and felt so good to play a sport again! plus I met alot of new people I hadn't known before and some of whom ended up going to the same university as my friend (shout out to c.boice) at Clemson...woot woot. Anyway, later that night, what originated from me and my roommate's idea-Lara- to get out of the house and not make our deathly-ill host senora cook that night, turned into a pretty good group of us from frisbee going out for tapas, and then to another place, and then one of the guys we were with who studied here last semester tambien, took us to a hookah bar that his friend owns...i was so exhausted by the end of the night, but the hookah-bar guy kept making fun of me for being tired so early at like 4 am...man, i'm so not spanish yet. OH. AND! The guy who own's the store right next to the hookah bar came in and 'talked' to us (except he was so drunk and hookah-bar guy says he's crazy to begin with) and in the middle of the 'conversation' he looks at me randomly, and says roughly the following:
"and this one, this one right here, she's the type to get pregnant" and i was like "WHATTTTTTTT?" everyone turns silent and i'm like, "oh, what makes you say that? i'm the most UNLIKELY to get pregnant here!" and he just kept mumbling to himself and the hookah guy just was laughing and laughing....mannnnnnnnnnnn that was weird!!! so yah. but no worries, parents, no worries.

anyway. that's my life. still working on signing up for my class at the university, going to classes, trying to to stick out like an americana. unsuccessfully!

oh, and I've started here a little list of what it means to be Spanish, or little things that stick out in the Spanish society that I've picked up on. yah, some are really lame or shallow or stupid, but whatev:

-black and brown go together perfectly and is totally stylish
-if you wear any type of nylons, stockings, or leggings you'll fit in
-boots go with any outfit. any outfit.
-scarves complete an outfit.
-olive oil goes with anything. and and is served with everythings.
-salads are salty.
-tv is awesome. the simpsons are the best.
-two words: skinny jeans.
-exercise? what's that? i walk everywhere.
-say 'vale' to everything.
-lip-reading is hard, just like in Chile...they mumble and don't move their mouths.
-no pasa nada.
-----to be continued......

No comments: