Monday, March 24, 2008

the little old lady

So since the beginning of the semester I’ve had a lot of free time between and after classes, and I was just going crazy and didn’t know what to do with it all. Well, it’s gotten better, I have a pretty normal routine now, but I was like, I might as well do something worth doing at least during a portion of my time. Sooo I decided to try and volunteer somewhere, so basically I kill time with other people, AND I speak Spanish while doing it. Well get this. I first went to Red Cross and talked to the lady, and she was like, oh well, you’re only here till May so we don’t want you to start anything now. And I was like, fine, if you don’t want me to even play with kids that’s fine with me, someone else will have to want me. So I found this place online called Fundacion Albihar and the lady there was sooo nice and overwhelmingly welcoming to me, and was so glad that I had found the place online. The fundacion does several things, but the one that fit my timing and schedule the best was to be paired up with an old lady and just talk with her, listen, take a stroll, whatever. I mean, it’s not much (at all), but ok let’s face it, old ladies are adorable, especially when they speak Spanish and you have absolutely no idea what they’re saying but still they somehow adore you and think you're the most amazing person for listening, and it’s always interesting to meet new people and here their life stories, and mannnnnnn I’m telling you, little old ladies LOVE talking about their life and their families. So anyway, yesterday was my first day to go and meet her, her name is Socorro, she’s in her 80’s, has trouble walking, but is a mouthful, and super friendly. I went with the director lady so she could introduce us, etc. and they just ended up talking the whole time, but I’m going to start seeing her after Semana Santa, which is this upcoming week, and basically all I do is go once a week, or whatever we agree on, and just take her on a stroll, sit and talk and listen and just provide good company for her for a couple of hours. Not bad.
Oh and so she lives in this apartment building—like everyone here—but there was some serious bad planning, or a major lack of planning, put into the building because there is no elevator! Come on, people. If apartment buildings are the only form of living conditions here in the city, you just HAVE to expect that either, a)old people will live there and will need an elevator at some point, or b)that people will, like most Spaniards, make this the one home they’ll have, and thus they’ll GET old, and will eventually need an elevator if they ever want to breathe in the fresh air and not waste away on their couch day after day. Ah. I got really mad because that was one thing they were talking about for Socorro. Luckily she’s just on the first floor, and for the most part she can go down and come up on her own, but it’s really just not safe for her or anyone else in a similar situation. Urgh.
Anyway, I’m excited to listen to all her stories, and I just know I’ll get an earful of them, but it should be good for the both of us.

No comments: