Tuesday, March 11, 2008

un buen fin (de semana)

This past weekend was wonderful, for various reasons. First of all, the weather was good...except at night HOLY COW i think it gets colder now than it did at the beginning of the semester...and I just don't function in cold weather...but during the day it's getting warmer and warmer so that's good. Also, my friends Brennan and Lori came to Granada from Barcelona, which them prompted me to finally call my friend Anna who studies here in Granada, and we all went out for tapas and hung out. Apparently everything is suuuper expensive in Barcelona, and their living situation isn't really the same as mine, the city's too big for their taste, etc., so basically I got some perspective from them and then like overnight I developed a deeper sense of appreciation for Granada. No joke. I mean, I have it good here: FREE TAPAS!, good weather, i can walk pretty much anywhere in the city without having to take the bus, we don't even have a metro, it's not to expensive, i have a host family who gives me food, the great Andalucian/Granadino accent that I have grown to love and pseudo compare the chilean...doesnt always work but it's worth a try...
So yah, thank you, Brennan and Lori, for making me appreciate what i have...

alsooo, my host sister, Maria, and her friends invited Lara and I to go with them to the beach on Saturday, and we had a great day in Malaga. Two americanas, and 9 crazy espanoles taking forever to get it together in the morning to go, then taking a while to finally hit the road and get going, then picking up people, and finally making it there and wandering the city (Nerja--beautiful!) in search of a supermarket so we could buy food, then FINALLY making it back towards the beach and setting up camp. crazy day. The drive up there (down there?) was really pretty, especially once we were driving along the coast...all the cities are full of gorgeous white houses and apartments lining the coast--which is an amazing bright blue color--with palm trees, clear blue skies, and ah! so pretty! The beach we went to was pretty small, but really nice because we got our own little alcove to claim as our own, and then we just chilled there for the rest of the day...so relaxing!!....unlesssss the spaniards decide to declare you as the one to pick on...every LITTLE thing i did at least one of them was like, "que haces, cati???" (what are you doing???) so of course i had to justify everything i did...and! everything was my fault! they said that "it's always been that way" but i was like, since when? so of course, whenever anything happened...who's to blame? me! maybe because i'm blonde? maybe because i'm an easy target? i have no idea...but anyway! a great weekend!!

and here in just a few days, on friday, i'm going to Budapest!!! Going with my friend Ryann (a guy) and my friend Austen (a girl...i know, confusing...) and it should be fun. even though the forecast says it's supposed to be in teh 40-50s and raining the whole time...ehh!

No comments: